Thursday, June 12, 2008

Arsenic time

Looks like I was cheering at just the right moment yesterday. Seconds later hell broke loose...

Years ago I helped organizing some winter camps for little kiddies. The camps were always big fun. They were called "Snow camp" and were intended for those kids that didn't ski but wanted to get out there into the snow. We played games, built huge snowmen and tried to feed them normally healthy food for a week.

Something that was funny and happened in the first two days of every camp was what I call here the "arsenic time". The time during which the ranking among the kids is established. They all get to now their mates, they try to establish boundaries and check where the limits of the camp leaders are. It is a quite stressful time for everybody and once things have settled down, normal camp life begins.

It seems to me the same applies to the beginning of a new job. Finally it seems I can really enjoy the day in the new group. Don't ask me why, but I need to establish this ranking as well. Not that I go armwrestling with the professors, but I need to get into touch with everybody at least once, talk a little bit with them, understand where there strenghts are, learn about their weaknesses. Like that I can calm down, find my place, start to work.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

... find my place ... that's it ... the most difficult thing of the world and the most important thing in life ... sometimes you will cry ... because you need e place on/in the sun ...

Wombat said...

Just great! Go on in this style! I'm learning much new things about my land and the people (not only the soccers). Are we really so special? I'm afraid yes, indeed!